Renewable Raw Materials
Cytec aims at increasing the use of renewable raw materials
for the production of UV/EB and Liquid Coating Resins. At
Cytec’s major research centers for UV/EB and Liquid Coating
resins, teams evaluate the use of new bio-sourced materials for use in
newly created products. For example, the Cytec teams are
working on the following:
- A complete acrylation of epoxidized vegetable oils
results in radiation curable epoxy acrylates with renewable
raw material content over 60%, excluding water.
- Polyester acrylates are produced by condensation
reaction of polycarboxylic acids, polyols and acrylic acid.
Examples of polyols from renewable source are glycerol (a
by-product in the production of biodiesel or produced by
fermentation of glucose), sorbitol and others.
- Polycarboxylic acids dimerized or polymerized fatty
acids can be used.
- Epoxy acrylates as polyester acrylates may be modified
with fatty acids.
- Bisphenol A may be replaced through bio-sourced
alternatives, petroleum-based feedstocks through bio-acrylic
Renewable Raw Materials brochure.